It’s a combination of a bunch of things, but first and foremost, resolutions are usually Outcome Goals.
- I’m going to lose 20 lbs this year.
- I’m going to train for a marathon.
- I’m going to be less stressed out.
An Outcome Goal is one that is tied to a particular result. And they usually fail. Without other super important components.
In contrast, a Behavioral Goal is one that involves a particular activity done on a regular basis in order to achieve a certain result. In other words, establishing Outcome Goals without Behavioral Goals is like having a destination in mind without any idea of the path you’re going to take to get there. Usually, you’ll just wander around for a while and give up. Probably by February.
I know my Outcome Goal – fitting into my Dress. So it’s time to establish my Behavioral Goals.
What do I think I would need to do on a regular basis (Behavioral Goals) in order to achieve my desired outcome (My Vision) – getting into the dress. Well here’s my best guess based on what I learned from Step 2 (Appreciative Inquiry), what I know, and what I suspect (Yup, take a guess – go with your gut).
1. Keep up with my normal exercise regime. (Remember I learned that exercising MORE doesn’t really do it for me, so here I’m going to have to just maintain).
2. Eat light meals multiple times a day. (I’m going to get way more specific about this later).
3. Meditate for 25 mins, take a yoga class, or strike a Restorative Yoga pose for 10-15 mins every day EVERY DAY. (You can’t digest and eliminate effectively if you’re stressed out).
4. Put a heated sandbag on my stomach every night as I go to bed. This helps to calm my digestive system, relax before bed, sleep well, and essentially aid my body in elimination and detoxification.
5. Drink a lot of water every day to flush my system clean. I’ve done this in the past with the help of my nutritionist and it helped immensely with how I felt tummy-wise. I was on a water schedule and totaled about 80 ounces daily. It’s not easy but I have tricks I’ll share later.
That’s a good start. I’ll learn more as I go.
We’ll talk about how to implement these lifestyle changes incrementally because there’s no way that I can do ALL of these to their fullest extent from day 1 to day 28. So I’m going to add this to My Plan under the 1 Month Goal section. Two more days til I actually stop prep week and begin action month. I have to admit, I’m nervous.